2018 COSTUME CONTEST RULES:
1. No group is too large or too small to participate - but you must be a "paid" parade participant.
2. Everyone who wants to participate in the costume contest MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR STOPPING AT THE PARADE STARTING LINE TO HAVE THEIR PHOTO TAKEN. This area will have a volunteer present and will be clearly marked - basically, it's at the official start of the parade!
We only mention this because we want to make sure you are aware your photo needs to be snapped as sometimes a photographer may overlook someone. You will not be asked to purchase any photos - but we are just using this as part of the judging procedure!
3. Your race number must be clearly visible at all points in the parade to be considered.
4. The first phase of judging will take place at the Reviewing Stand by the judges. If the distance to the Reviewing Stand is too far for you or your dog, don't worry, everyone's photograph will be reviewed and judged at a later date also.
5. WINNERS WILL NOT BE ANNOUNCED AT THE PARADE! You do not need to stay around, or make it to the parade's end to win. All winners will be notified no later than one week after the parade, and their names/numbers will be posted on-line also.
6. Pick up your prizes at our Post-parade Pawty .
Party details TBA but it's usually a couple of weeks after the parade. Winners do not have to attend our Post-parade party to receive their prize, but it would be preferable.
7. Ian Somerhalder Foundation & Scott's Wish volunteers are excluded from the contest.
8. We have a professional panel of 10-12 judges headed up by Master of Ceremonies Alan & Becky Avdoyan, Karla Partridge, & Eileen Lamberston!
© MARDI PAWS is a registered trademark and may not be used without permission.
About the Costume Contest...
Do you have what it takes to bring home the
coveted Poop" Trophy for your mantle this year?
Contestants are judged on how well
their costuming/float fits the theme.
The 2018 theme is:
Fables, Fairy Tales & Nursery Rhymes
The Top Ten "BEST IN SHOW"
Winners truest to this year's theme,
will take home their one-of-a-kind
coveted "Poop" trophy along with
a CHEWY Parade Pack!
Ten "BEST IN SHOW" Runner-Ups
The Ten Best in Show Runner-Ups will be
awarded the almost as coveted,
"Mini Poop" Trophy along with a
CHEWY Prize Pack!
A little about how the judging works....
We have ten to twelve judges weigh in after the parade after they have reviewed all the costume contest parade photos posted on-line.
We slot every judge’s top 20 choices (parade numbers) into a grid and winners are chosen based on the number of points each contestant/s are given overall. We wanted to take a moment and let you know some of the criteria they use in making their selections. Most importantly is how well the contestant’s costuming/float fits the theme “Mardi Paws 2018: Fables, Fairy Tales & Nursery Rhymes!”
In addition, they are looking for creativity when it comes to selecting an idea. One thing that can hurt an entrant is if there are too many similar ideas. Often you won’t stand out when there are so many to choose from and costumes and floats start looking alike or having the same appeal.
It doesn't matter if you enter as one person and one dog, or ten people and ten dogs; they are looking for that special combination of uniqueness and creativity when selecting the winners. If things are close, they often go back to the originality and detail of the costumes/floats.
Sought-after "poop" trophies!
We are excited local artist
will be lending her talents
to the trophies again this year!
She attended the Fine Arts Academy in Turin Italy before getting her Masters in Art from UNO. She has been a
Talented Art Teacher at Mandeville High since 2000.
Special Thanks to
Each Costume Contest winner will
receive this box of goodies
from Chewy designed to
make your tail wag!!
- American Journey Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Biscuit Dog Treats By American Journey
- USA Bones & Chews Cotton Rope with Hooves Dog Toy, Color Varies By USA Bones & Chews
Congratulations to our
2018 Mardi Paws Costume Contest Winners!
TOP TEN Winners include:
#2 Aesop’s Fables – Furry Tails & Furbies
#3 MUTT-ER Goose Tails
#6 Cajun Miss Muffet
#9 Hansel & Gretel
#14 Three Beagle Goats RUFF
#15 Three Little Pigs
#72 The Little Mermaid
#96 Trollin' on the River
#121 Wizard of Paws
#210 Snow White & the Seven Dogs
Best in Show Runner-ups include:
#1 Snow White’s Enchanted Forest
#16 RUFF Punzel
# 20 Shrek
#38 Lil’ Red Riding Hood
#48 Aesop’s The Fox & The Grapes
#62/74 Dancing Princesses
#65 Princess & The Dog
#87 Dr. Seuss
#101/138 The Lady & The Tramp
Awards of Merit go to:
#117 Legend of Bigfoot’s Fantastic Costume
#154 The Most-photographed Dog & Best FROZEN Group
#39 Best Beauty & The Beast
#200 & #145 Best Cinderella & Carriages
#31 Krewe of Cookies- Girl Scout Troop
#76 Best Princess and the pea
#120 Best Itsy Bitsy Spider Costume
#55 The BEST CASTLE Fidelity Float
#35 Willow Oaks’ Alice in Wonderland
#49 Best Super Hero Group
#107 TAIL as old as Time!
#17 & #41 Best Unicorns
Best Peter Pan Group (very lg group -could never find # - contact us) Best Horse Drawn Carriage (Gomez)
WINNERS, please mark your calendars for
Saturday, March 3rd for our Awards PAWty
from 12:30 -2:30pm at McClain's Pizzeria in Old Mandeville.
You'll be receiving an e-mail with all the details soon!