2019 COSTUME CONTEST RULES:
1. No group is too large or too small to participate - but you must be a "paid" parade participant.
2. Everyone who wants to participate in the costume contest MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR STOPPING AT THE PARADE STARTING LINE TO HAVE THEIR PHOTO TAKEN. This area will have a volunteer present and will be clearly marked - basically, it's at the official start of the parade!
We only mention this because we want to make sure you are aware your photo needs to be snapped as sometimes a photographer may overlook someone. You will not be asked to purchase any photos - but we are just using this as part of the judging procedure!
3. Your Race Number must be clearly visible at all points in the parade to be considered.
4. The first phase of judging will take place at the Reviewing Stand by the judges. But don't worry, everyone's photograph will be reviewed and judged at a later date also. If you don't see your photos on Facebook when the Costume Contest Participants are posted, please send us a photo of your group to be included!
5. WINNERS ARE NOT BE ANNOUNCED AT THE PARADE! You do not need to stay around, or make it to the parade's end to win. All winners will be notified no later than one week after the parade, and their names/numbers will be posted on-line also.
6. Pick up your prizes at our Post-parade PAWTY at PetSuites Northshore! Everyone is welcome on Saturday, March 23rd from 11am-3pm. Awards presented at 1pm. Winners do not have to attend our Post-parade party to receive their prize, but it would be preferable.
7. Ian Somerhalder Foundation & Scott's Wish volunteers are excluded from the contest.
8. We have a professional panel of 10-12 celebrity judges who will be weighing in on the contestants!
© MARDI PAWS is a registered trademark and may not be used without permission.
About the Costume Contest...
Do you have what it takes to bring home the
coveted Poop" Trophy for your mantle this year?
Contestants are judged on how well
their costuming/float fits the theme.
The 2019 theme is:
SUPER PAWS -
celebrating all things Comic Book Culture!
The Top Ten "BEST IN SHOW"
Winners truest to this year's theme,
will take home their one-of-a-kind
coveted "Poop" trophy along with great prizes provided by our generous sponsors!
Ten "BEST IN SHOW" Runner-Ups
The Ten Best in Show Runner-Ups will be
awarded the almost as coveted,
"Mini Poop" Trophy in addition to
many other great prizes!
Sought-after "poop" trophies!
A Big PAWS UP to
wiho lends her talents
to the coveted tophies each year!
She attended the Fine Arts Academy in Turin Italy before getting her Masters in Art from UNO. She has been a
Talented Art Teacher at
Mandeville High since 2000 and this commisssion is certanly one of her
more challenging ones- LOL!
A little about how the judging works....
We have ten to twelve judges weigh in after the parade after they have reviewed all the costume contest parade photos posted on-line.
We slot every judge’s top 20 choices (parade numbers) into a grid and winners are chosen based on the number of points each contestant/s are given overall.
We wanted to take a moment and let you know some of the criteria they use in making their selections.
Most importantly is how well the contestant’s costuming/float fits the theme “Mardi Paws 2019: SUPER PAWS, celebrating all things Comic Cons & Comic Book Culture!”
In addition, they are looking for creativity when it comes to selecting an idea. One thing that can hurt an entrant is if there are too many similar ideas. Often you won’t stand out when there are so many to choose from and costumes and floats start looking alike or having the same appeal.
It doesn't matter if you enter as one person and one dog, or ten people and ten dogs; they are looking for that special combination of uniqueness and creativity when selecting the winners. If things are close, they often go back to the originality and detail of the costumes/floats.
The Top 20 Costume Contest Winners receive all of these
great prizes from our generous Sponsors!
Be prepared for some very Colorful Commentary as you pass
the Reviewing Stand by our Mistress of Ceremonies,
Randi Rousseau, WDSU TV6
and her assistants, Rob Krieger Fox 8 and Ryan Naquin!
A ONE YEAR
EVERYONE'S INVITED! DON'T MISS
MARDI PAWS' POST-PARADE PAWTY
& MEGA-PET ADOPTION
FUN, FOOD AND DRINK
& LOTS OF ADOPTABLE DOGS AND CATS!
SAT. MAR. 23RD, 11AM - 3PM
At PetSuites Northshore
975 US 190 Service Rd, Covington
PAWS-Up to all our 2019 Costume Contest participants! CONGRATULATIONS to our winners for going the extra mile, the costuming and floats were incredible and very tough to single out categories. The Poop Trophies/prizes for the Top Ten & Best in Show will be awarded this Saturday at our Post-Parade PUPALOOZA.
TOP TEN WINNERS (In race number order):
#39 GOTHAM CITY VILLAINS
#46/71/72/90/91/110 HARRY PAWTER
#46/71/72/90/91/110 HARRY PAWTER
#77/78/79 Not All Superheroes Wear Capes
#102 BATDOG THE CANINE CRUSADER
#220 THE INCREDIBLES
#227 PAWTHAM CITY JAIL BREAK
BEST IN SHOW Runner-Ups (in race number order):
#2 BB The WONDER DOG
#29/167 Super Grover, The Penguin with Batman & Robin
#35 JEDI CHICO
#43 SUPER PAWS
#58 SUPER MARIO
#67 DAT CAPED KREWE-SADER
#76/133 THE INCREDIBLES
#203 Even Wonder Woman can use a little HELP!
Each year the judges choose AWARDS OF MERIT for groups who went all out in a different theme (lol) or had too many of the same category already chosen. Join us at the Awards celebration and pick up some Glittered Poop and Swag!
#40 Best Dog/Float combo- Cherry on Top!
#63 Superhero Group
#61/173 & #59 Best Mardi Gras themed
#11/124 Guardians of the Galaxy
#56 Pup Francis at Our Lady of Paws
#69 BAT GROUP
#70 Best Buddy Holly
#4/5 Best Ninja Turtles
# 12/147/148 Best Sitcom! BOB’S BURGERS
# 30/152 Best SAINTS -Super Bad Refs
#168 Best Legally Blonde
#96 Wonder Woman & Wonder Dog
#27 Batgirl, Batman & Batdog
#101 Best Fairy Godmother Group
9/170 Best Alien Group
#81 WONDER WOOFman
#223 Best Game of Bones
#59 Mardi Gras Superheroes
#195 INCREDIBLE FAMILY
#16 Poison Ivy Dog
#24 Best Frozen Princess
#25 The Incredibles
VIKING Group (no # seen)
MARDI PAWS Mega Adoption & PUPALOOZA – SATURDAY MARCH 23, 11AM – 3PM!
Everyone’s INVITED! We’ve got FREE FAMILY FUN, FREE FOOD (Blind Tiger) AND DRINK, and Lots of ADOPTABLE DOGS & CATS! Thanks to PetSuites Northshore for hosting this PAW-some event, and to the North Shore Pet Adoption Alliance and all their rescues for partnering with us! Petting Zoo courtesy of Angel’s Grove Rescue Ranch, Face Painting, and so much more! Mardi Paws Costume Contest Poop Trophies and Prizes will be awarded at 1pm.